Wondering about which counties have open an application process for a commercial cannabis delivery license? Look no further.
Margolin and Lawrence created a guide on the California counties that are still accepting applications, and for cities within these counties that are closed for applications. The Department of Cannabis Regulation (DCR) is required by the Los Angeles Municipal Code to process applications through three phases. With Phase 1 and 2 closed for existing businesses, Phase 3 is now open to new applicants looking to join the cannabis industry.
Los Angeles County
Avalon City (Medical) - Delivery: Non-storefront
- Medical Application: The City Council adopted Ordinance No. 1163-17, allowing for one medical cannabis delivery business and banning all other commercial cannabis activities, including all recreational cannabis businesses.
Commerce City (Recreational, Medical) - Delivery: Non-storefront
- Recreational and Medical Application Period: The City is not accepting new applications and does not foresee accepting any new applications at this time. If in the future, the City re-opens the application process, information regarding such will be made available.
Cudahy City (Medical) - Delivery: Non-storefront
- Medical Application Period: Phase 1 Application Deadline was December 4th, 2017.
Culver City (Recreational, Medical) - Delivery: Non-storefront
- Recreational and Medical Application Period: The online application portal for retail storefront cannabis businesses closed September 27, 2018. The application period for manufacturing, distribution, cultivation, laboratory testing and delivery-only retail businesses closed on May 9, 2018. No additional applications for these businesses are being accepted at this time.
Los Angeles City (Recreational, Medical) - Delivery: Non-storefront
- Medical Application Period: The City Council is currently considering amendments to the cannabis procedures that will impact the process and timeframe for accepting and reviewing commercial cannabis license applications from new businesses. The Los Angeles Department of Cannabis Regulation is not currently accepting applications for any commercial cannabis activity/ license type.
- Recreational Application: As of June 19, 2018 The Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors opted not to take any action on regulating commercial cannabis activities at this time. All commercial cannabis activity remains prohibited in unincorporated LA County.
Ojai City (Medical) - Delivery: Non-storefront
- Medical Application Period: The City has not yet finalized the application processes/period for manufacturing and microbusinesses. Please check back for those updates. The application period for testing facilities is currently open. Click the link to access the application form: https://app.cannaregs.com/#/laws/50041
Port Hueneme City (Recreational, Medical) - Delivery: Non-storefront;
- Recreational and Medical Application Period: At this time there is no deadline. However, due to the limited amount of available land within the City limits applications may or may not be considered.
Thousand Oaks City (Recreational, Medical) - Delivery: Non-storefront
- Medical Application Period: The application process to operate a Commercial Cannabis Business (CCB) in Thousand Oaks is currently open. The application window is open from Monday, June 3, 2019, and closes at 5:00 PM PDT on Friday, July 19, 2019.
- Recreational Application: City Council adopted an ordinance that permits and regulates one medical cannabis retailer and one cannabis testing facility in the M-1 zone. All other medical and adult-use commercial cannabis activities are prohibited.
San Diego County
Chula Vista (Medical, Recreational): Non-Storefront
- Application Period: The Initial Application Periods for all licenses is closed. The Initial Application Period for Storefront Retail, Non-Storefront Retail, and Cultivation licenses was January 14, 2019 through January 28, 2019. The Initial Application Period for Manufacturing, Distribution, and Testing Laboratory licenses was January 14, 2019 through January 25, 2019.
Oceanside (Medical): Non-Storefront
- Application Period: the application period is open for all license types.
Santa Barbara County
Carpinteria (Medical, Recreational): Non-Storefront
- Application Period: This City is not currently accepting applications.
Goleta (Medical, Recreational): Non-Storefront
o Application Period: An application period is not stated. You can access the Cannabis Business License Application here: http://bit.ly/2JGrgDb
Lompoc (Medical, Recreational): Non-Storefront
- Application Period: No application period stated. Commercial cannabis use license applications have been available to the public since March 1, 2018. You can view the application here: http://bit.ly/2KcIpUe
Santa Barbara (Medical, Recreational): Non-Storefront
- Application Period: Applications were accepted through January 31, 2019.
Santa Barbara County (Medical, Recreational): Non-storefront
- Application Period:
- For Storefront Retail: July 1, 2019 - August 16, 2019: Pre-qualification applications submittal period. Pre-qualification applications expected to be made available mid-June.
- Other License Types: The County is currently accepting applications.
If you have any questions regarding application deadlines for the counties we have provided or for any other counties, please consult one of our attorneys. More information on this topic (commercial cannabis delivery licenses) can be offered at Margolin and Lawrence.