What happens after the temporary cannabis license?

Posted by Margolin & Lawrence on March 2, 2018

On January 1, 2018 the state of California began issuing temporary licenses for cannabis operators. We are about halfway through the 120-day period allotted for temporary licenses and the state has allowed an additional 90 day extension so long as businesses submit a complete application for the annual license. Our Los Angeles cannabis attorneys are facing many questions about what happens when the temporary license expires. The answer is that you need to submit for an annual cannabis license from the state. 

caitlyn-hastings-325442 (1).jpg

While the temporary license is a streamlined process where you will need identifying owner information, property authorization in the form of a lease that explicitly states your cannabis activities or a deed showing you are the owner of the property, a seller’s permit, and a site plan, the annual licensing process will be more rigorous.

What more is needed? Most states require an extensive operating plan that shows how you will comply with all of the state’s requirements in your activity in order to grant licensure, and California will be no different. 

What is contained in an operating plan? The requirements differ by activity, but the below is a high level overview:

  • Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) in line with state regulations from the governing agency
  • Description of day-to-day operations
  • Inventory Control plan for retailers
  • Description of methods used for Cultivation, Manufacturing, etc.
  • Personnel Plan
  • Fire Safety Plan
  • Insurance information
  • Plus a lot more, check out the state regulations from the relevant agency to become familiar with all of the regulations and how your operating plan will address them. 

For more information on temporary cannabis  licenses or annual licensing, check out the California agencies that regulate each activity.

The Bureau of Cannabis Control (BCC) issues licenses to retailers, distributors, micro-businesses and testing laboratories. The California Department of Food and Agriculture (CDFA) CalCannabis licenses cultivators. Last but not least, the California Department of Public Health (CDPH) grants licenses to manufacturers. You can find more information on the California Cannabis Portal.

For more information on SOPs or operating plans Contact usto speak with one of our los angeles cannabis lawyers. 

LA Cannabis Permits, LA Cannabis Licensing, Temporary Cannabis License, Temporary License Cannabis, SB 94, MAUCRSA, Measure M Lawyer, LA cannabis dispensary, LA Cannabis Business, LA Cannabis Lawyer, LA Cannabis Attorney, LA Cannabis Law Firm, Los Angeles Cannabis, Los Angeles Cannabis Law, Los Angeles Cannabis Lawyer, Los Angeles Cannabis Attorneys, Los Angeles Cannabis Attorney, Bureau of Cannabis Control, Cannabis SOPs, Cannabis Operating Plan


This blog is not intended as legal advice and should not be taken as such. The possession, use, and/or sale of marijuana is illegal under federal law.