Ask A Cannabis Trademark Lawyer: How Do I Apply For A State Trademark?

Posted by Margolin & Lawrence on January 9, 2018

 As of January 1st, 2018, the long wait is over: cannabis business owners can apply for California state trademarks. The application form can be obtained here: Because cannabis is still federally illegal and cannabis products themselves cannot be trademarked, this is a viable avenue for many California cannabis brands that will protect your business marks within the state. You can read our prior post about USPTO Trademarks here.

According to the website for the Office of the California Secretary of State:

“Beginning January 1, 2018, customers may register their cannabis-related Trademark or Service Mark with the California Secretary of State's office so long as:

1.The mark is lawfully in use in commerce within California; and 

2.Matches the classification of goods and services adopted by the United States Patent and Trademark Office.  

If the application submitted to register a Trademark or Service Mark is found deficient, the application will be returned to the registrant for correction.

Note: Not all cannabis-related products can be registered under current law due to the inability to meet federal classifications.”

This means that in order to obtain your state marks, you must be lawfully using the marks in commerce at the time of the application. Therefore, you will need to be licensed in compliance with SB 94,  both at the local and state level, before you’re eligible for trademark approval. Otherwise, if you claim an unlicensed use, you may run into issues with the Secretary of State. Further, once your license is obtained, you must also show that you’re making actual, bona fide use of the trademarks on your products in the stream of commerce. That means that customers are identifying you by your brand when they purchase your goods or services in the marketplace.


Finally, it’s important to note that the California Secretary of State is requiring that the goods and services applied for matches a classification adopted by the USPTO. The USPTO has not adopted the same classifications as California in Business and Professions Code Section 14235.5 for for cannabis-related goods (500) and services  (501). Consult a trademark lawyer in order to ensure your application properly categorizes the goods and/or services accordingly.

CONTACT US for more information about obtaining a California cannabis trademark. 

Prop 64, California, AUMA, MAUCRSA, SB94, Measure M, Social Equity Program, Marijuana Edibles, Recreational Cannabis, Los Angeles Cannabis Attorney, Los Angeles Cannabis Lawyer, Federal Marijuana Law, Regulating CBD, Type 6 Cannabis License, Distribution, LA Cannabis Lawyer, Cannabis Business, Los Angeles Cannabis Regulations, Cannabis Regulations, Cannabis Ordinance, Los Angeles Cannabis Ordinance, LA Cannabis Attorney, LA Marijuana Businesses, LA Cannabis Business, Los Angeles Cannabis Law, California Cannabis Attorney, Cannabis Trademark, Cannabis Trademark Attorney, Cannabis Trademark Lawyer, Cannabis Attorney California, Cannabis Trademarks, Marijuana Trademarks, Cannabis Lawyer, Cannabis Attorney, Cannabis IP, Marijuana Industry, Los Angeles Cannabis License, California Cannabis Lawyer, Los Angeles Cannabis Licensing, BTRC, Pre-ICO, West Hollywood Cannabis Laws, WeHo cannabis, California Cannabis Regulations, Los Angeles Social Equity, Ethanol Extraction, Volatile Extraction, Los Angeles Cannabis Zoning, EMMD, Los Angeles Cannabis Ordinances, Cannabis Microbusiness, Cannabis Distribution, Cannabis Business Los Angeles, Cannabis Retail Store, Cannabis Business California, LA cannabis dispensary, Microbusiness, Licensing, Type 12 Cannabis License, Type 12 Microbusiness License, Los Angeles Cannabis Attorneys, Measure M Lawyer, Measure M Attorney, LA Draft Ordinance, Bureau of Cannabis Control


This blog is not intended as legal advice and should not be taken as such. The possession, use, and/or sale of marijuana is illegal under federal law.